View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
No, I think the child and the license plate date the picture to 1914. But it could be late in the year. And it's hard to tell exactly what 1917 has to do with the Mead house. Could be the date permits were pulled, making it less likely it would show in this shot but it could also be the date certificates of Completion or Certificates of Occupancy were issued meaning it could be here in 1914. Also construction on these large houses was a long process. The Leon Kaufman house overlooking the Pacific Coast Highway took five full years to completion. Also my source for the 1917 date is simply a realtor's brochure so not the most compelling source material. Maybe Hoss will happen along and pull a permit on the Mead address for us. For what it's worth, I'm pretty convinced this is the Mead house. Update: I've found an article listing Hudson & Munsell Architects for the period 1905 through 1935 and shows 1914 as the date of the Mead house. But again, we're left with not knowing what exactly they are saying has happened in 1914.
Thank you for the information, that all makes perfect sense!

I hope you might forgive my excessive curiosity about this little stretch of Vermont Ave. I spent many years walking up and down those blocks. I was a regular at the Onyx Cafe, which would be about where the men in the distance are standing. I've had friends who lived at the Hollymont Apartments. I've been a patron of the Dresden since around 1991, and still have close friends who work there... in fact, I'm wearing a Dresden t-shirt at this very moment!

I could blather on endlessly about this strip of Vermont, but suffice it to say that it is very dear to my heart - and I'll be emailing this photo (and your information about it) to several friends of mine, so thanks again (you too, ER, BillinGlendaleCA, and HossC)!