View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham View Post
For the average person they did what they should but some jobs require leadership in the face of danger. Policemen, Firemen and even News Readers need to face danger so that others may be safe. Giving instructions, calming people, giving information is a great help. If it gets bad enough, sure they should seek safety so that they may be able to render assistance if needed.
And yes, I have been in positions in the same situation.
Not to belabor this, but showing people what to do by example is leadership, in my book. Most people's instincts when an earthquake starts, that I have witnessed, is to run outside if possible, which is the worst thing you can do. If someone in L.A. sees a news anchor immediately seek cover under the desk, that is a good reminder to do the same thing...immediately. You suggest waiting until "it gets bad enough?" The first sign of that might be something hitting you in the head.

I'll leave it to the USGS spokeswoman on what you should do:

KTLA's on-air reaction generated so much attention it was addressed at an earthquake news conference at Caltech later in the day. Lucy Jones, a seismologist for the U.S. Geological Survey, who is advising L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti on earthquake safety measures, said she was "very proud" to see the KTLA anchors going under their desk.

"That is absolutely the right thing to do," she said.

And to the people who were poking fun, Jones had a message: "You don’t know at the beginning how big the earthquake is going to be. And you might feel a little silly doing it for the small one. When the big one happens, it means you stay alive, as the lights come crashing down."

http://www.latimes.com/earthquake20140317,0,3910407.story