View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 7:14 PM

Top of Bunker Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

There's so much to look at in this picture, I could study it all day. On the left are some old favorites like the Rex Arms and the Sunkist building and the Jonathan Club. Moving across we see the 4th Street Viaduct project in its early days with Stuart K. Oliver's house overseeing the work. Across the Harbor Freeway there's a building between 3rd and Miramar that's signed "TANNER GRAY LINE". In the lower right corner you can see 3rd Street emerging from underneath Hope Street, and the recently discussed Rollin, Bozwell, St Regis, Marcella and Winton on Flower Street.

USC Digital Library
I remember someone among us (I don't remember his name) asking in the beginnings of the thread : « Where was the top of Bunker Hill ? It's hard to say. My guess is at the Angel's Flight station on Olive. »
Studying this picture, I guess it's safe to say that it was at Bunker Hill Avenue and Third street (bottom center of this picture). I noticed on an Harold Lloyd movie that the short section of Third Street between Grand and BH Avenue is steepy. And remembering several pictures from our scholar friend Scott – pictures from the late XIXe where the houses are sparse so it's easier to see the streets – it appears that everything seems to go down North and South from the whole section of Third Street on Bunker Hill.