View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1939er View Post
what great map. shows many of the busineses of 1931.i am doing research (images) on a certian area which was know as "car row" or "car dealer row" in perticular Felix Chevrolet when they were at 1201 s. grand starting in 1931.I have a great dealer show room picture that will post when i learn how do that. not to computer savy. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for any help on this subject.QUOTE=gsjansen;5165793]and once again i must apologize for making everyone side scroll, but this is an interesting 1931 "Heart of Los Angeles" map that is so wonderfully detailed, that it needs to be seen in large format to truly appreciate. I only wish that it covered more ground than it does....but hey!, i always take what i can get!

(warning, do not try viewong this with a smart phone)

Source: LAPL Map Collections

interesting that bunker hill avenue is called cinnabar and cinnabar is called................errrrrr....nothing, (as is sack alley, but hey, at least sack alley is graphically shown which usually it's not)
[/QUOTE]

This map is genius! Can't stop staring at it. And it never really occurred to me that the subway might rattle people in the Fremont or Granada...every time I look at it I find something new, and, more importantly, something unique to 1931, which was a fascinating time specifically...

1939er (1939, also a great year!) welcome to the fold, brother! I too have always had a fascination with the old auto zone. I wrote a bit about it here http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=14656 ...go down to 1919 in this http://onbunkerhill.org/ArchitectsBuilding#comment-110 and there's a bit about the REO showroom at 12th & Hope... but it's more than just auto row, downtown was thick with dealerships, gas and service stations, equipment shops, paint, parts, body shops, ad automobilium. I know I have some images of a couple of the fixit stations that were around 12th & Grand. Have to dig those out. I suppose you have the postcard of Kelley Kar at 12th & Fig? It's pretty common. (But if ya don't, say the word.)

Again, good times!