View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
whales are pretty snoopy, especially humpbacks. not surprizing that they make it to montreal on occasion. i can't imagine they hang around long unless they are sick though. or maybe humpbacks can handle freshwater better than other whale species? i dk.

whales have been seen as far north on the hudson as cohoes, a town north of albany, too. thats the same distance as quebec to montreal. the hudson is much different that the st lawrence though, its not even really a river, its a tidal estuary and the water stays brackish from the ocean i think most of the way north.

i've seen whales around in ny harbor and in the hudson. i don't get north of dobbs ferry too often, so i dk how regular they are seen north of there. there was news last year of a major uptick in whale sighting in the area though. i would hope it is because the bay and the hudson are getting cleaner by the day and not because because the whales are stressed for some reason.
I had no clue! The more you know...

To bring it back to Montreal, I'm glad to see some photos of the Japanese garden. I love the old Olympic tower, biosphere, and the gardens around it. The tower and stadium complex is delightfully 70s futurism, though a little rundown. I like that the Montreal subway also has that 70s modern vibe.