View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubert View Post
As it relates to the Chestnut Hill lines, an even cheaper solution would be the city kicking in money to bump off-peak service to every 15 minutes and make those lines Transpass eligible which would make them affordable to more riders. Same should be done for the Manayunk line.

Philly needs to stop trying to be NY and get off the subway kick. We'd be far better off restoring the former streetcar network and bringing it up to LRT standards and we'd more than have the capacity we need. Lines like the 23, 47, 57, 33, 7, 52, 21, 42, 5, 60, 66, 14, 20, etc could all be upgraded to LRT for the cost of major subway expansion.
I agree about the commuter lines. However, the commuter lines as a whole would need a lot more customers to make up the deficit that would come from lower prices. However, it just might be possible.

Many bus routes including some of the ones you mentioned were once LRT in the past. Other than the coolness factor that some people love, what advantage does LRT offer over buses? I will say that reduced pollution is a plus. But trolleys still have to deal with traffic and detours are extremely limited, based on the track configurations. Using the 2014 Septa Annual Service Plan to compare operating revenue percentage (passenger revenue / expenses), many buses are on par or even exceed that of Septa's trolleys. Trolley's are cool, but I don't see the benefits of going back to them.