View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 8:05 PM

Thanks for your excellent on follow-up on Charles Ray, e_r. A then-and-now of his house was posted by GW in post #17142.

---------------

This is the Miller Vandegrift Building, as photographed by Julius Shulman in 1949. With the help of the City Directories, I found it was at 8255 Beverly Boulevard. It's "Job 506: Miller Vandegrift Building (Los Angeles, Calif.),1949".

Here's a closer view of the entrance on the left.

I like this sweeping staircase with the plants underneath.

When I first saw the top picture, I didn't realize that the windows were set at an angle to the sidewalk.

The photoset also includes shots of a balcony and pool, which I assume were at the rear of the building. I've omitted a few because of similarity.

All from Getty Research Institute

This is 8255 Beverly Boulevard today. The property websites still give a build date of 1949, so maybe the original building is under there somewhere. The views at Historic Aerials aren't clear enough to make out the pool, but the rear of the building seems to have taken on its current configuration between 1964 and 1972. Nowadays, there appears to be a small open area with three parasols.

GSV

The entrance no longer has sloping sides, but at least they've preserved the sixteen square windows. It's a shame we can't see more of the staircase from the Googlemobile.

GSV