View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
Does anybody have any information on the building at right (NE corner of Broadway & Olympic, I believe)? The building with what appears to be 'Martindale's Buffet' on the ground floor. I've never seen it before and it's quite a fascinating building. I wonder if the buildings currently at the same location are the chopped-down, remodeled remnants of it:

GSV
Here's a slightly earlier picture of the corner building from 1926.

USC Digital Library

You could get Tacoma Brew on draught, but I can't read the name of the buffet. There's also a sign for the Hotel Lyle.

Detail of picture above.

By 1939 the building was shared by the Oasis Cafe and the Sinclair Wallpaper and Paint Co.
NB. I've lightened the original image to show the detail better.

USC Digital Library

More pictures for those who are interested:

USC has a couple more pictures which include the building on the corner. The first shows the front when it was Martindale's Buffet. They served Eastside beer.

View of Broadway looking north from Tenth Street (Olympic Boulevard), Los Angeles, ca.1929

The corner building isn't as clear on this one, but it's taken from a higher angle and shows extensive work being carried out on the street car tracks.

In Downtown Los Angeles facing north on South Broadway at West Olympic Boulevard