View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 2:00 PM

Wow so now that my trip has concluded, I have an opinion about at least 2 of the cities. I spent 2 and a half days in London and 6 days in Paris.

They are both amazing cities... so much history, so much fun, so much LIFE. Everything and anything you could ever want are in either. And both are both crawling with tourists!! But form-wise they are a bit different.

Paris is so much more compact!! The city is huge, but everything is smashed together. From what I saw, it seems that the average mid-rise is taller in Paris than it is in London, and there almost no areas of the city that are predominantly residential or predominantly retail. London is huge also, but it has more open spaces. Paris is so uniform and cohesive!! Most every building, street front, etc are designed to look the same. London didn't feel that way at all.

The subway systems were both very good, but it seemed that Paris Metro was more consistent than London's Tube. I also really REALLY liked the fact that Paris lines are numbered... it's just much easier than simply naming the line and expecting everyone to know where it goes.

I'd live in either city if given the chance, but I think I enjoyed Paris more.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist