View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
You mustn't follow the development threads very closely if you think that - Halifax and Victoria in particular have been building a ton of great-looking, high-density infill in their inner cities. They're comparatively much less sprawly - and moving urbanizing much faster - than Portland, ME. Saint John and St. John's also have fairly extensive legacy cores, though most of their newer development is more suburban in nature (Portland probably has more in common with these).
Fair points. I am going off my travels to these cities and it's been a few years since I last got out to the coasts.... Happy to hear that is happening.

Quote:
Southern Ontario's small cities are pretty dreary, overgrown suburbs (Kingston and maybe Peterborough excepted), but that's not the case everywhere in the country where cities of this size function as important regional centres.
This is a good point. Maybe better design comes when their importance is higher. Though I'd say, I would think there would be more pressure to keep Kingston somewhat compact, but they are growing subdivisions like weeds over there. Ditto London. And these are the pre-eminent urban centres for their regions.

Quote:
The old city is probably closer to 900,000 today, given the growth downtown (+50,000 since 2016 just in the core). Pre-war Toronto also includes East York (~120,000), York (~150,000), Southern Etobicoke (~100,000), and small parts of North York and Scarborough. Add in early post-war stuff that's urbanized more recently like North York Centre and it might be around 1,400,000.
Yeah I didn't want to get too out there with numbers. But I agree, downtown growth in Toronto has been spectacular. Outpacing the outer 416 and even a lot of the 905. I'd give an absolute max of a decade before old Toronto itself is at a million.