View Single Post
Old Posted May 31, 2020, 11:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
But it's not so much access to Hakka food that is the problem as much as how bad anglicized Chinese food will be in a lot of smaller towns. It's borderline inedible to me sometimes. Eating that crap in say Portage-la-Prairie or Moose Jaw or Trenton as I have, only reminds me of how big the gulf between Toronto and the rest of the country is sometimes.
Moose Jaw is a representative of "not Toronto" and so is a good place to get an idea of what Chinese food is like in, say, also-not-Toronto Vancouver? I don't know Moose Jaw but many metros in Canada are closer to Toronto than they are to the small town stereotype as far as food offerings go. It is not black and white, >= Toronto or 0. And if you do have ultra-discerning tastes I am not sure why you'd want to live in Toronto instead of relocating 600 km southeast to a much bigger city.

Quote:
Can you give examples of a small metro that is 40-50% urban in Canada? Because I can't think of any.
Saint John NB is like that. There are areas where it's just a short walk from Victorian streetscapes to woods. A lot of it is pretty run down though; the comparative lack of modern development reflects the poor economic prospects of the area. It is kind of interesting but I'd rather live someplace with a stronger economy.

The point however is if you assumed some sort of population-based model implying the core in Saint John is 10% of 130,000 or whatever it is, you'd be wildly off.

Quote:
Agreed. You can have a fantastic, vibrant city with 100k. But we never seem to aim towards that with smaller centres in this country What's Canada's equivalent of Portland, Maine? Everyone of our smaller metros grows with ugly assed subdivisions. I've held out hope for a few cities like Kingston and Halifax. But McSubdivision is starting to hitting them hard too.
I don't really understand this perspective. Halifax hit its apex of sprawliness in the 90's or so. Portland ME is surrounded by exurbia, not wilderness. But either way the quality of the inner city matters a lot more to me than whether or not there are suburbs nearby.

The inner city in Halifax has been growing by leaps and bounds while Portland ME looks about the same now as it did in 2000. I'd guess that back around 1930, Portland ME and Halifax were pretty comparable but now they aren't.