View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 6:10 AM

My first post ! Hey gang, I read SSP all the time. Thanks for the enlightenment, maybe I can toss in my 2 cents occasionally.

I've lived in the SL Valley my entire 46 years, so I might be able to explain why a few buildings were torn down...

The Hotel Newhouse: In it's day, a very nice building...but...it was essentially abandoned by the final owners. The building became very rundown. The homeless were sleeping it in, starting fires...if I remember right, the SL Fire Dept had to put out fires TWICE in the building's last years. The final straw was when the cornices and ornamental roofing started breaking loose and falling on pedestrians and parked cars. The building was in very poor condition, and no one wanted to spend the money to "bring it up to code", ie remove asbestos, earthquake proof it, etc. So it was just cheaper to bring the old lady down, what with liability and all. It's a real shame that it's a parking lot. Oh...and it was "The Hotel Newhouse"...not "The Newhouse Hotel"...lol

The original Eagle Gate, Bransford, and Holmes apartments...
my memory's a bit foggy, but I seem to recall that there was more than
a bit of a media firestorm about them being torn down.
There were asbestos issues, they did need refurbished on the interior.
A compromise was eventually reached: the grand old dames could be torn down IF they were replaced by something similar (classy, classic, etc ). I've tried surfing the net to jog my memory, but I seem to recall that THAT was what happened.

Anyhow, my first post...