View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 6:23 PM

Thanks to tovangar2 and Noircitydame for your follow-ups on 6801 Iris Circle. I didn't know the house had been moved. Now we just need to find what those initials on the gates stood for .

---------------------

Many of the Julius Shulman photos I'm currently looking through date from the 70s and early-80s, so I was slightly surprised to see that this color image is from 1955. The cars on the left are the only giveaway. It's "Job 1975: Blanchard Lumber Company (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1955".

Getty Research Institute

The building stood at 5360 Lankershim Boulevard. A previous incarnation of the store was posted by e_r back in February, with a follow-up by Wig-Wag:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig-Wag View Post

ER, this is my home town of North Hollywood, and this is where I developed my interesting in railroading and electric traction as we did not have a car. The PE Hollywood cars were my ticket to adventure!

Where Blanchard Lumber Company stood is the entrance to today's METRO Red Line. Also, after the end of rail passenger service the station was used as a builders supply until the late 1990's or early 2000's, and has since been restored. See:

http://la.curbed.com/tags/north-hollywood-train-depot
I found a second 1955 picture of the Blanchard Lumber Co at LAPL. The picture below, dated May 6, 1955, comes with this helpful description:
"Await Grand Opening -- Officials of the Blanchard Lumber Company, 5360 Lankershim Blvd., North Hollywood, look over final plans of the grand opening of their new, ultra modern office and salesroom. Destroyed by fire just one year ago, the new structure, built by Kersey Kinsey Company, utilizes many strikings examples of utility of construction. From left, officials are R.W. Blanchard Jr., R.W. Blanchard Sr., president and founder of the firm in 1911; W.J. Blanchard, in charge of the Burbank yard, and Lemoine Blanchard."

LAPL

The fire mentioned in the description above was reported in the May 7, 1954 edition of The San Bernardino County Sun.

www.newspapers.com

The early-50s weren't good for the Blanchard Lumber Company. Their Burbank yard also suffered a fire a year earlier. That one appears to have been the work of 12-year-old boy, as reported in the June 21, 1953 edition of The San Bernardino County Sun.

www.newspapers.com

USC has a series of 12 photos from April 11, 1953 showing buildings on fire and the aftermath at the Blanchard Lumber yard at 150-154 East Angeleno Avenue. Here's one of those images.

USC Digital Library

Last edited by HossC; Dec 4, 2015 at 7:59 PM. Reason: Re-cropped first image.