View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Another handy Julius Shulman post today where the address is in the title. This is "Job 5914: 6801 Iris Circle (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1981". The description says "For Bob Crane and Associates" - I'm assuming that's not the guy who played Col Hogan, as he died three years earlier. It also says "Photography credit to Carlos von Frankenberg." For some reason, 6801 Iris Circle doesn't seem to appear in the City Directories, even though some of its neighbors do. That means that I haven't been able to work out what the initials on the gates might stand for.

Getty Research Institute

None of the historic GSV images give a good view of the house from the street because of the trees. You can, however, see that the entrance is unchanged.

GSV

Here's an aerial view which also shows the proximity to the Hollywood Freeway (lower left).

Google Maps

The property websites give a build date of 1924.
I have no clues on the D.D. front but may have worked out why its not showing up in the directories as well as why, though clearly a c. 1924 house, I found no reference to that address in newspapers: It appears to have been moved to the present site in 1950 from a street that was all or partly wiped out in the freeway construction, Lloyd Lane.
building permit records, dated 10-6-1950

It was at 2053 Lloyd Lane. Built for producer Lewis Lewyn in 1924. He married actress Marion Mack the same year.

building permit record, 3-28-24

Lloyd Ln. was named in honor of Harold Lloyd, in 1924.
LAT 4-7-24

In 1950 the house had to be moved, because it was in the path of the freeway. Mack & Lewyn had moved long since, like most of the other 20's stars they once called neighbors. LAT 5-14-1950

So that's when a couple William and Hazel Farrell got it and moved it to 6801. There's a permit for moving a garage also.

It's a nice house. I love the tile on the stairs.