View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
Remarkable job HossC.
I have to agree, HossC. Splendid!

The appearance of the Cavalcade billboard in the Fox Studios panorama is grand.

The Hollywood Blvd. panorama has such great detail. I'm obviously wrong, but I thought the Bank Building on the northeast corner of Hollywood and Highland was already there when the Chinese Theatre was built. Does anyone know the date it was constructed?

I'm trying to figure out what that tower structure is being built that Godzilla highlighted. A couple inches to the left of it appears to be the Hollywood Athletic Bldg.

Nice look at the Hollywood Hotel and on the left, the buildings that are now known as Yamashiro's and the Magic Castle, I believe. And the side of the Christie Hotel looks as mundane in 1927 as it does now.

Was this photograph taken from the Roosevelt Hotel? Lots of things to look at...the students on the Hollywood High School athletic field.

Thanks for doing that, HossC, and first posting it Godzilla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
Cavalcade may be worth viewing from an NLA perspective. Evidently, this "award winning" film captured many Port of LA exteriors.
As for Cavalcade, despite the kudos for it in the advertisement, modern audiences find it a pretty big bore. I, myself, have seen it three times, once on a video and twice in a theatre and I have no desire to again. It would probably remind you of Upstairs, Downstairs or Downton Abbey now and that's the point. At the time it may have been something new, but now it's worn out and far beyond cliché. The "port of L.A." exteriors may be the only reason to give it a shot. (The film is all set in England, FYI.) It might be interesting to some film buffs for it's production design, but beware of some critics, like Leonard Maltin, giving it **** reviews. Considering AMPAS had 18 months of films to choose their best picture from this particular year (because the following year, 1934, they went to a full calendar year for the choices) and considering the other nine choices for Best Picture (like I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang, Little Women, Private Lives of Henry VIII, She Done Him Wrong, or 42nd Street, for example) were/are far more entertaining and interesting (well, maybe not A Farewell to Arms, though I'd give it the edge over Cavalcade) then you wonder what astounded people so much about Cavalcade back then.