View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 3:26 AM

A different take on raising taxes

I understand the temptation to believe that more taxes are the answer. To some extent, they could be. However, why hasn't anyone thought about the potential long term benefit to privatizing some or all of these state parks? The state could work out agreements with the buyer to insure that a certain percentage of the parks remain accessible to those of modest means.

But with private ownership, I bet that the state parks at Cheaha and De Soto State Park would be greatly improved. Those are gorgeous areas, but the lodging, and the food are fairly dreadful, save for a few cabins on Lookout Mountain.

The same applies to virtually all state services. Privatizing roads, education, etc. would bring the power of the market into the equation. We have some beautiful geography in our state. I find it hard to believe that the state can do a better job than a private company that seeks to make a lot of money providing better accomodations for these parks. The state bureaucrats simply do not have the incentive to create the kind of parks that would truly present Alabama in a good light.