View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
The time spent commuting to a job is "wasted" but not the time spent driving to or from non-work stuff that you had to or wanted to do anyway, especially those things that could be combined into a commute?
I suppose you could make an argument that every moment in a car or commuting to any activity (picking up kids, groceries, etc) is wasted time, but that wasn't my point. Sure there is some sense of 2 birds 1 stone when you have to commute to an office then knock out an errand. I don't disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
The work-from-home zealots all seem like they're afraid of people because they didn't play outside when they were kids. In fact, I made this exact remark elsewhere, and some woman responded that she was afraid of the bullies in her neighborhood when she was a girl, so she confirmed my point.

It's only Tuesday morning and I've already had a half dozen great conversations this week with people here in the office. Concrete DIY repair, bicycling, chiropractor recommendations, the health of a guy who went to the hospital last week, the disappearance of ho-ho's from the vending machine, etc.

Quit being afraid of the world, people!
What a very strange big leap in logic - certainly hasn't been my experience in working from home over the past 10 years. I literally have no reason to go into an office, my team is spread out over the entire Country (+Canada!). I would be much less productive all around if I had to go in an office everyday/multiple days a week.

Certainly I have enough common sense to not broadly generalize everyone, and understand your mileage may very.