View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 12:52 AM
designer&stuff

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Quote:
always happy to see my personal second city on here.
I need to get out to St. Louis sometime. It's of course just down the road.

Quote:
we had a similar one in DT St. Louis–the Marquette Building Annex–that was torn down some time in the 90's for (what else?) a parking garage. I wonder if it was the same architect...
The photo shows the Boley Building, which was saved and renovated with the construction of the Town Pavilion complex just to the right of the historic structure.

I looked up the Marquette Building Annex on builtstlouis.net. It's too bad to see that addition demolished. Both Kansas City and Saint Louis have lost a number of their downtown buildings, but they still have a number of interesting structures left. Also, I need to see St. Louis in person, but it seems downtown KC has fared better in saving older buildings in comparison to St. Louis.

Quote:
KC's looking good. Western Auto has always been one of my favorite buildings-it has such a graceful curve to it, plus an iconic sign.
It is a pretty interesting building. That sign has been up there for over fifty years, which is impressive.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully