View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 10:06 PM
Walk taker

Manhattan is starting to fill up with too many "inspired" buildings from architects that seem to think that any geometrical anomaly and splash of colored glass is Good Architecture. What's more, these buildings are usually built with no thought given to the surrounding architecture, a severe case of egotism in my opinion. It seems like nearly every building going up relies on some sort of gimmick to look anywhere near good. We've been rehashing the same sleek metallic designs for the last several decades, too mired in money and ego to make something truly "inspired".

To me, 432 Park breaks that awful mold. It bucks the trend of brash angles and curtain walls, mixing elements of the new and old city to make something simple and genuine. I've seen countless buildings from China, Dubai etc. that resemble One57 or 1WTC (of which I am fans), but I've never seen a pale, pencil-thin grid cast into the sky like this.

I only hope that they clad it in white travertine like the W. R. Grace Building!