View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 7:04 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
Are the non-loop subway platforms on the 420' format (so Clybourne, Division, Chicago, Grand, Harrison, Roosevelt)?
It’s been discussed before in this thread... I can’t easily measure underground platforms in Google Maps, but I’ve heard the subway platforms are just barely long enough for ten cars, which would put them around 480’-500’. There’s no room for error, which causes problems when human motormen have to berth the trains. Some kind of assist technology would probably be needed to berth the trains quickly and reliably without trapping the folks in the last car...

As for the Pink Line, all platforms are already capable of 8 car trains. I have to imagine CTA would run longer trains in a heartbeat if they thought the demand was there. The only limitation is the size of the fleet, but with a new rail car order in process, now would be the time to order more. We’ll see what CTA does once the new 7000s get delivered.

I ride the Pink Line a decent amount, and it’s rarely crowded to the point of being uncomfortable, even at peak. Yes, it goes through dense neighborhoods, but not ones with a ton of downtown workers who commute at the peak of the peak. A lot of the commuters on the Pink Line are medical workers, students, and service workers who probably don’t work a regular 9-5. I’m worried that CTA will eventually decide to run 6-car trains, but less often, to free up more spots for the Brown and Purple Line on the Loop. I’d rather cram into a more crowded train that comes more often, if I get where I’m going sooner.