View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Everyone who comments on local news sites is crazy. It's one of the rules. Like Rule 34. Still, many people from other regions have antiquated views of the city. "Progressive" enclaves like SF and NY can be, in certain ways, just as provincial as any other city.
Yep, totally. Even the guy who was defending Chicago was saying something like "It's a hip city - meat and potatoes kind of hip" or something. While there's some truth to that, again - antiquated. I was on another forum not long ago and this guy from SF was *SHOCKED* that I, as a straight male, was friends with many gay males and that it's not uncommon here for straight and gay to be friends. He literally thought the only places that happened were in SF and NYC.

I always get a kick out of reading comments on news sites though. Crazy people come out of the woodwork and do nothing but bitch about their city not receiving whatever. I think it sucks for SF because he has so many ties to there, but even sane SF people would agree that Chicago site is better. When I showed a friend of mine in SF a map of where it would be located, he said it was a "perfect location" and better than what SF offered. Also, you know I guess it does help with the fact that Chicago had almost 3X the tourists as SF did last year. Which is shocking - SF gets more international tourists, but in the grand scheme of things, charging like a $20 admission isn't going to be out of reach to 99% of tourists who visit Chicago no matter where they're from.