View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
When was service to Elwyn axed? The last time I checked, I thought Elwyn was the current terminus and that extension to Wawa was discussed. Personally, I'm still much in favor of extending the line to West Chester with stops at West Chester University, Cheyney, and Glen Mills among a few places.

The estimated cost of doing so I believe is around $350 million...
Oops, I miswrote it. I meant to say "restoration of service beyond Elwyn", leaving it open to extending service only to Wawa as in the plans or as far as West Chester. I'm old enough to remember when trains still ran to Westtown and West Chester, so to me, it would be logical to restore service to West Chester over the route provided real improvements are made to the tracks and the line for better trip times than back in the day. The good news is that the ROW is intact, which can't be said for other lines abandoned in earlier times.

In the FY2014 capital budget, the cost of restoring service from Elwyn to Wawa with a new station and parking deck at Wawa is $91 million. That is in the unfunded capital needs section, so extension to Wawa is likely back on the table with the new funding because it is not that big of a price tag. Restoration of service from Wawa to West Chester is probably going to be way down the list for a long time behind many other projects that have priority.