Thread: UAB Discussion
View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
I doubt he would ever pull the plug on football. The University may spend more money than it earns in the team, but the advertising the team's existence does is priceless.

As far as schools like UCF go, they're in rapidly growing cities in rapidly populating states that are home to countless potential benefactors. Birmingham is big enough to potentially push the team forward, but there just isn't the momentum behind the support that fresh citizens can bring. Maybe that'll change in the coming years, but at the moment it's just not there.

Don't get me wrong, I really really want UAB football to succeed, though I don't think an on campus stadium that has little to no partnership with the city is the best idea. I don't like the idea of potential redundancy if UAB gets a stadium and the BJCC builds the "multipurpose facility."

Thank you for the positive insight, I am surrounded at my job by Negative Nancys and I sometime reflect that, but I am hopeful for the future of UAB football.
I do hear bits and pieces about the BJCC's dome I have seen the rendering of it, but I have no idea how close or how far they are in getting it started, with ALDOT proposal to build a temporary alternative route for the bridge at I59-I20 right through the Dome site, it is at least 2-3 years away.
Hopefully the billion dollar fund raiser will yield some positive results for the Football team.