View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 11:16 AM

I think it's pretty clear that the port has been and will be focusing it's operations/future expansion on the west side. The idea that any property there might be given up by the port is a non starter (and rightly so)

The old sugar refinery site is widely contaminated from what I know. That leaves Long Wharf as the logical site for any future development on port land. You could leave the face of the wharf and a landing area in use for cruise ship overflow and the pilot boat station/ lobster boat area in the slip while still having room for residential buildings set back.

As to the retired Halifax frigate idea.....where to start? It would be wildly impractical in terms of operational issues and hugely unrealistic from a financial POV for it to be given over to a naval reserve unit. It has no historical significance to warrant attempting to keep it intact as a museum ship like HMCS Sackville or HMCS Haida. Even if it did, Saint John wouldn't be the place as I believe we are too small economically to support such a venture long-term. Keeping old ships afloat is wildly expensive.

Last edited by sailor734; Apr 26, 2024 at 11:30 AM.