View Single Post
Old Posted May 26, 2008, 9:58 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Artigiano is totally over-rated? I've gone about 3 times now, and each time my espresso has been badly done - really acidic and sour. If you ask me, Beano and Bumpy's both make better coffees. Just my opinion.
Beano is a VERY dark roast, as dark as Starbucks, but it's fresh (unlike most Starbucks) and they get the best out of it (also unlike Starbucks), which will have a lot of chocolate notes and very little sharp or bitter- this is unbalanced (as I just learned as a barista judge) but a lot of people like it- hell, I like it sometimes. Bumpy's has a very balanced espresso and if you like it you should check out Kawa, which uses the same bean (49th Parallel Epic, the one used by the 2nd and 3rd placing baristas at the recent barista championship in Calgary). Artigiano's is I agree not for everybody but they have their place too- there is no shame in not liking their version (also roasted by 49th) and thank goodness we have tons of choice now!!!

De Ville opens today, or so I heard- I'm checking it out tomorrow- 2nd floor of art central!