View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The U.S., if it has any self-interest, should immediately pluck the best/brightest out of India. We desperately need skilled labor and India has a massive oversupply. Bring it on.

Of course 30-40% of the country will cry about rapist brown people and open borders and Rajeev and Sayed stealing their jobs.
If I were a highly skilled Indian national, I would avoid the U.S. Especially if I'm older than mid-20s. The caps on green cards per year penalizes countries with a large proportion of nationals coming to the U.S. through the skilled worker programs. Indians, in particular, can expect to wait about 10-15 years to get a green card, which means their legal residency in the U.S. is directly tied to their employment throughout most of that time. People from some other countries can get green cards in 3-5 years, sometimes even faster.

I have several friends who moved to Canada and Europe from the U.S. in the past 2-3 years because of this reason. They'll be eligible for citizenship in those places before they could even think about permanent legal status in the U.S.