View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 6:19 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
For some reason shoppers don't like rooftop parking, they will circle endlessly for ground-level spaces before driving up the ramp. I've noticed this at the South Loop and Ashland/Webster Mariano's. I admit I'm guilty of putting my flashers on to park at ground level for the South Loop Home Depot (those escalators are endless and s l o w . . . )

Interestingly, the West Loop location in Gateway doesn't have this problem, because the retail is on the second floor and rooftop parking on the third. No matter whether you park at ground level or rooftop, you still have to take an escalator or elevator.

The takeaway: just don't provide any ground level parking and then you won't have problems with people circling!
When I lived in Lakeview and used a car, I never parked in front of the Jewel at Broadway/Addison in the small parking lot, I always went to the second-level parking. But I'm willing to concede I'm not your average customer, either.

If second-level parking is the only parking, though, people will use it, so the solution is probably just eliminating any surface parking except maybe a couple handicapped spots and a loading zone for pickups.