View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 9:56 PM

USC's Digital Library has a fairly large collection of Citizens National Trust & Savings Bank photos, mostly from the late 1920s. I've also found a few contemporary shots from other sites, so I'm going to work through the list in the advert below. I've split up the photos so they're not in one monumental post. My aim is to make the most complete list I can, so there may be a few repeats from previous posts.

This is their full-page advert from the 1929 City Directory.

LAPL

The building shown in the advert is their head office at Fifth and Spring.

Citizens National Bank, exterior view

LAPL

The building is still there, but has lost the ornamentation on its upper floors.

GSV

This is the Hill Street Office at 736 South Hill Street. The building is now a parking lot.

USC Digital Library

I also found this 1925 picture which has the bank on the right. The building to the left of the bank has also gone, but the Paden-Pelton Building is still there. There's probably enough detail in this picture to make a post in its own right!

USC Digital Library

The Broadway Office at 308 South Broadway.

USC Digital Library

The "...BURY" on the left of the picture above is part of a sign saying "BRADBURY" because the bank was on the right side of the first floor of the Bradbury Building. It's now a Subway!

Panoramio

I didn't find any pictures of the Atwater branch, but the building that's currently at 3224 Glendale Boulevard looks like it could date from that period.

GSV

Citizens Trust and Savings, branch at 5415 Broadway, Southern California, 1927

USC Digital Library

The building currently at 5415 South Broadway has a similar footprint, so could the original bank be underneath? The surviving buildings to the right have similar brickwork to the picture above.

GSV

We know that the Union Stock Yards have gone, and I didn't find any pictures of the bank there. It's the same story with the Echo Park-Sunset and Eighth-Vermont branches. The former is now a Walgreens parking lot while the latter is a strip mall.

ETA:

I eventually (nearly 18 months later!) found this picture showing the sign from the Echo Park-Sunset branch. There's a much better view of the building, minus the bank, in post #30181 by e_r. It also includes a view of the building with the bank's first floor hidden by a streetcar.

Detail of picture at Getty Research Institute

More to follow ...

Last edited by HossC; Sep 14, 2015 at 6:07 PM. Reason: Added Echo Park-Sunset picture.