View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 6:18 PM

This year marks the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Colorado Street Bridge in Pasadena.

LAPL

The west end of the bridge, circa 1928. Apparently some time during the 1920s, not even being 20 years old, the 5 globe lamps must've been considered outdated? They removed the lower 4 globes and retained the main ones.

LAPL

Someone posted these earlier in this thread... A "suicide barrier" is erected in 1937. Ugly. Basically a chain link fence with barbed wire on top, set up in front of the ornate balustrade.

LAPL

It looks like they even blocked off the seating bays.

LAPL

Here's one of the seating bays before the chain link was put up.

LAPL

This picture is from 1956. Apparently, some time during the late 1940s or early 1950s, the chain link fence AND the balustrade were removed, and a freeway style, tall metal fence was erected. It looks like they even removed the seating in the little bay there. It changes the look of the bridge, and I assume driving on it after this would've just looked like driving on a regular freeway overpass or something.

LAPL

After the Whittier Earthquake of 1987 and the Loma Prieta Earthquake of 1989, the Colorado Street Bridge was closed and totally reconstructed/retrofitted to meet the latest earthquake codes. It reopened in 1993, with its 5-globe lamps, balustrades, and seating bays restored.

I took the following three photos on April 7, 2013.

As you can see, as part of its restoration, they added a guardrail, and the balustrade has fencing along the top of it, as a "suicide barrier."

I took these three pictures in January of 2010. You can hike along the Arroyo Seco near and beneath the bridge.

~ Charles Bukowski