View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 9:06 PM

I don't think most people ever wonder about the demographic nuances of Canada. But I get surprised at the demographics of a lot of places, both in the U.S. and all over the world. Here are a few off the top of my head:
  • (East) Asians in west coast cities (U.S. and Canada), particularly in the SF Bay Area and Vancouver, are far more visible than they are in any major city in the eastern U.S.
  • When I first visited Paris there were a lot more people of sub-Saharan African descent than I was aware.
  • Berlin hardly feels German at all because everybody there seems like they are from some other part of the world. Turks are the well-known most visible group, but there were also a lot of people from all parts of Europe, as well as a few Africans.
  • I was surprised at how many mixed black and Japanese people I encountered in Tokyo.
  • Counter to my experience in Tokyo, I don't recall encountering any mixed black and Korean people when I visited there. But I have only visited Korea once, and I spent most of my time in Korea away from Seoul.
  • I was surprised at how few people of African descent there are in Argentina.
  • Santiago de Chile has a ton of Haitians for some reason.