View Single Post
Old Posted May 23, 2012, 3:15 AM
You can call me David

High Tower (Hollywood Heights)

A friend and I went exploring Hollywood's High Tower neighborhood; here are some photos.

First, here's a then and now, with the 1931 shot we've seen here recently. This is the north end of High Tower Drive, looking north towards the elevator. Sadly there there was no pretty girl waiting and willing to pose for me. Note stairway behind elevator. Local residents can rent a key from the Elevator Association, everyone else walks.

---------------------------------------------

My friend called this one "Candy Land", a perfect description. On the right is a "wish tree" covered with hand written notes. This is as un-Noirish as you can get, but it does remind me of Clifton's.

Walkway to Glencoe Avenue. Its houses can only be reached on foot.

A lower section of the walk.

At the south edge of High Tower, overlooking Hollywood United Methodist Church is a Frank Lloyd Wright house, The Freeman House, at 1962 Glencoe, from 1924. This is the so called "textile block" design, very striking. I read that the owner donated the house too the USC School of Architecture. It has been in poor repair for a while, though some renovations seem to be going ahead.

Many of the homes around here are on "walking streets". You need to park at least block or two away and walk. I imagined coming home from LAX with a heavy suitcase. Or moving furniture. This is the Paramount Stairway.

These homes are very close to the Hollywood Bowl. If you live here, I suppose you can hear the Hollywood Bowl shows from your balcony. This is Broadview Walk.

Last edited by 3940dxer; May 23, 2012 at 4:07 AM.