View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:12 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Anyone who's ever been stuck on a Muni Metro train inside a station, wondering when the damned doors will open, has reason to celebrate this planned change:

Muni Metro tries doubling up

Call it a two-fer, double duty or two in one but Muni is preparing to start using double berthing — having two trains stop at a single station platform — at three downtown stations.

The plan is to use double berthing at the Civic Center, Powell and Montgomery stations to speed the morning commute. Muni employees tested double berthing, which requires adjustments to the computerized train control system, early Friday morning in the Powell and Montgomery stations after the subway shut down Thursday night.

John Haley, the Municipal Transportation Agency’s transit director, said the test went well, with the trains stopping safely, and as planned, at two locations on the platforms with some buffer space in between.....
“We’re excited about it,” Haley said. “It should be a really valuable customer service.”
That's good to hear, I always thought the Muni stations were extremely underused compared to the shortness of their trains. Might as well be able to stop more than one train at each of the stations if there is room.

Great to see the new tunnel for Muni is coming along, I can't wait to get back to SF again and see all the things that have changed since my last visit.