View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 3:39 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

no, unless that is new related did not talk about saving the spur. in fact although they were officially non-committal they made it clear it was in the way and they wanted to tear it down (in fact its not pictured at all on those renders). so as far as the spur goes i hope they have changed their minds, but this is exactly why the city must step in to protect the rest of the high line.

edit: re-reading your post i think you may have misinterpreted. the "spur" is just the part of the se corner that goes across 30th st and hangs over 10th avenue (another great future cut-out viewing platform!).

however, i will add they did verbally commit to keeping the rest of the railyard high line. that is, the major section that turns west, runs up 12th ave and wraps around the railyards to w34th st. that is what you see in renderings.

however, while i applaud related for facing the public, i wouldn't trust one bit of this verbal discussion to any developer. activism is still vitally important to protect the whole railyard section. here's news about the next cb4 forum:

Western Rail Yards Public Forum: June 10
We need your support at a Community Board 4 public forum on the Western Rail Yards - the next critical step in securing the High Line's full preservation.

Wednesday, June 10
6:30 - 8:30 PM
Sign-in begins at 6:00
Fulton Center Auditorium
119 Ninth Avenue, between 17th and 18th Streets

http://www.thehighline.org/about/rail-yards

for more clarity here is the map visual where you can clearly see the endangerd "spur."

Last edited by mrnyc; Jun 10, 2009 at 3:54 AM.