Thread: Calgary Roads
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
When the province took back control of the road in 2000 they did a ton of work. All of the interchanges from Douglasdale Blvd. south were built, the road was widened along that stretch to 8 lanes and the extension to just north of Okotoks was built. The province also improved the Peigan Trail interchange and I believe they're going to be paying for a part of the 212 Avenue interchange ($30 million?). They've probably also done other stuff that I can't think off right now off the top of my head. There's definitely a lot of things to fix and vastly improve and a lot of it is because the City did a horrible job of designing that road even back when it was built.

Hopefully common sense will prevail and the province will keep control of the road. The last thing any of us should want is for the City of Calgary to be put back in charge of the busiest road segment in the province. Ideally the province should keep control and also takeover Glenmore.
That’s not what I’m talking about. The 4 interchanges from Douglas glen to McKenzie we’re all traffic lights at one time. As development grew in they were turned into a proper freeway. Including the work at 212 and the extension to Macleod trail near Okotoks. I was talking about the real Deerfoot from Anderson in the south to Beddington in the North. This section of Deerfoot is the busiest highway in Alberta and probably one of the busiest in country. This section has been completely neglected. The only projects I can remember the province completing in this time are few and far between. Some of them are;
1. Putting asphalt over the concrete from 17ave to the bow river (road is as bad as it was when the concrete was exposed)
2. Road expansion north and southbound between Beddington and 64th
3. Some ramp work Glenmore/Deerfoot
4. The little overpass built to fix the weave at SB Southland exit (it probably was the best fix to date on Deerfoot ). I kinda think the developer of the mall paid for a good chunk of that
5. Fixing the flyover ramp from Pegan to SB
Might have missed some other small fixes since the province took over. That sure isn’t a big investment to fixing or keeping up with population growth of Calgary in the past 20 years.