Thread: Calgary Roads
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 6:36 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

So I attended the Deerfoot open house on Wed. night - a few things concerned me:

1. Deerfoot/Memorial-17th Ave - the proposals for this area look like a complete mess. Access for most movements between Memorial & Deerfoot is so indirect, circuitous & counter-intuitive it reminds me of the current NB to WB movement at Deerfoot-Glenmore on steroids. To go from EB Memorial to SB Deerfoot you need to cross Deerfoot only to cross it again going south. The LRT tracks are still a factor in the proposed interchange plans and the only consistent direct movement on all three proposals is SB to WB.

2. Deerfoot/Glenmore - Two loops on the west side of Deerfoot make for a very short weave distance which is one of the problems with the current interchange.

3. Deerfoot/16th Ave-19th St
. - Just seems way more complicated than it needs to be. This comment could be applied to most of the proposed designs actually. Deerfoot/Anderson & Deerfoot/Beddington are another couple that come to mind.

I'm not sure why upgrades to Deerfoot/Airport Tr. were not part of this study ?

One thing I did like is all the boards seemed to indicate 4 core lanes on Deerfoot.

Anyway, construction is likely so far off into the future things will change dramatically before any of this is built.

Last edited by craner; Nov 16, 2019 at 6:47 PM.