View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 4:43 PM
Perch

Another "hotel" development on the Bayfront. Never heard of the Cobblestone Inn brand, but it looks like the same old generic budget hotel to me. To be built on the western end of the bayfront on a odd 3 acre parcel at the base of the bluff and fronting the Bayfront Parkway. Not quite sure how parking and access into and out of the property will work; seems it will cause traffic issues on an already inadequate (for its current use) roadway. the need for a more affordable hotel option is there, but I'm a bit skeptical about it will fit in on that piece of property (unless access is from the top of the bluff, which given the lower end brand of the hotel, I doubt that will happen).

Developer Tom Kennedy to build new hotel on Erie's bayfront

Interest in building hotels on Erie's bayfront continues to grow.

Developer Tom Kennedy, owner of Erie's Renaissance Centre, has announced plans to build a new Cobblestone Inn on the south side of the Bayfront Parkway near Liberty Park.

Kennedy, who unveiled plans last week to build a 37-room Cobblestone Inn on Route 6 in Corry, said this new hotel will be a three-story, 54-room hotel.

Kennedy said he expects work on the project to begin this fall, with completion expected in early 2015.

This announcement comes as the Erie County Convention Center Authority and Scott Enterprises are both developing plans for new hotels on the north side of the Bayfront Parkway near the Bayfront Convention Center.

Kennedy, who said he's been working on this project for months, doesn't expect his project will interfere with either of those plans.

"I don't think this will have any impact on them at all," Kennedy said.

"I think we are more of an alternative for people who are staying on the interstate," he added. "We are a small, 54-room boutique hotel."

He said the property, with room rates of $100 or less, will be geared toward boaters and their families, families of Gannon University students and people who have family members at UPMC Hamot.

Like Scott Enterprises, which has owned its bayfront property for 15 years, Kennedy said he has owned his three-acre property for about 10 years.

Kennedy said the hotel, located across from the Liberty Park amphitheater and Sloppy Duck restaurant, is compliant with existing zoning regulations.

Kennedy said he has signed on to develop five Cobblestone Inns, all within driving distance of Erie.

The other locations have not yet been announced.

http://www.goerie.com/article/201403...plate=rockerie