View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700 Level View Post
Yes, Inga is terrible. She has a small loyal following that has convinced her that she is brilliant. And she is brilliant - at spending other people's money and practicing NIMBYism. Her writing makes you laugh, so it does have its entertainment value.
I still don't know what she won a Pulitzer for, but I feel that she is indeed one of the biggest NIMBYs and brownnosers in this city. She does have her good points, but when it comes to major projects, she seems loyal to a major company I won't name here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700 Level View Post
I wouldn't worry about metro area size. I would focus on desirabilty. As Philadelphia works its way back to its prior level of density, it is becoming a more and more desirable place to be. The Sun Belt Cities, so reliant on the car/highways/strip malls are going to choke themselves to death and be extremely undesirable. They are going to look at (smaller) cities such as Philadelphia and wish they had what we have.
While you wouldn't worry about it, I do. Nowadays, having over a million people within your city limits isn't enough. The desirability nowadays for many Americans seems to be the South and the Southwest, as it seems like the Northeast, the Midwest, and even parts of the West Coast are either stagnant or declining. Atlanta and Miami don't need a million people within their boundaries, the metro areas alone give it some human capital, which is why it'll pass the the Philly MSA and CSA sometime this decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
We NEED a subway down the Parkway.
I feel you!!! I'd still put the blame on the city leaders of the 20th Century for not thinking about building a subway line along Arch St and the Parkway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
I agree that this is another really good development and the area can really use more density. However I would be hesitant that the neighborhood could be "something" "eventually". The neighborhood for decades has been a center for Philadelphia's Puerto Rican community and I fear that gentrification spilling over from Fishtown will erase that. I am by no means anti development because this location is near the El so can be very dense and adding housing units can actually stabalize rising rents. I wish there could be a way to strengthen the Puerto Rican community while adding the density.
Philadelphia currently has the second largest Puerto Rican and Dominican population only behind NYC. I wish the city leaders would understand that and give more political power and representation at the local and state level but the amount of corruption and cronyism prevents this growing demographic from achieving their fullest potential.