View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 9:19 PM

This is the University Elementary School, as photographed by Julius Shulman in 1951. It's "Job 956: Robert Evans Alexander, University Elementary School (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1951". From laconservancy.org:
The two sections of the campus sit on either side of the ravine, leaving the natural space undisturbed for use as a learning environment. On one side is the Elementary Training School, its original one-story building designed by Robert Alexander and completed in 1950. In 1957, two separate one-story additions designed by Neutra and Alexander were added to the building.

The 10636 address refers to its original location on Sunset Boulevard.

The entrance seen above is on the far left of this shot. That looks like an interesting sculpture on the right.

Some of the buildings at the rear of the site, as seen from near the entrance. The sculpture is in the center.

The children in the picture above are walking on this bridge over the small river/creek.

That creek looks pretty dry!

Here are the backs of the buildings at the rear of the site.

All from Getty Research Institute

Here's the entrance today.

GSV

The building is now the UCLA Lab School, and the address is now 330 Charles E Young Dr N (see below).

GSV

To explain the address change, here's the site in 1947. The University Elementary School is still three years away, but many of the current Marymount High School buildings are already standing on the west side of Sunset Boulevard.

Historic Aerials

Here are the new University Elementary School buildings in 1952.

Historic Aerials

I think I can make out the addition of Charles E Young Drive running parallel to Sunset in the 1994 image. Here's a current view showing the original and subsequent buildings among the trees.

Google Maps

I'll finish with this west-looking angled view. It's a little blurry, but shows the bridge and the creek running through the site. The north-looking view shows what could be the original sculpture, but I can't zoom in close enough to be sure.

Google Maps