View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
I've looked at so many maps over the years, I thought I was familiar with just about every street name in L.A., but Schrader Blvd is a new one on me. Had to go looking for it....
At the time Dad and Grandma Ina lived there, it was part of N. Hudson. They lived in apartment 307. The name for this block must have been changed - if I recall, a friend of mine who had a recording studio on Hollywood Blvd remembered the name was changed in the 1990s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio63 View Post
So yes if your dad was born in late 1931, then he must have been perhaps 7-8 years old at the time of this picture? Something tells me the picture is from around 37-38. I wonder where it was taken from?
I consulted an application my Dad submitted for a DOE security clearance in 1962, where he had to list all his places of residence, work, references etc. On it he says they moved into the Manson Apartments in January 1937 so I agree: '37 or '38 for the Vine Street view. They lived there for over ten years. He graduated from Hollywood High in 1949.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
What a wonderful find Ere!
It is fascinating that you recognized the two people walking down Vine Street as your Father (in chaps!) and your Grandmother.

It makes me smile.
Actually, it was my Dad who found the photo in a book on Hollywood around 1971 or so. It must have knocked him over because he instantly recognized himself and his Mom ~ they walked that block almost every day for over a year and he even says that, besides their outfits and proximity to this location, the body language was the same. He told me this story years ago and I finally wised up and got him to tell me about it again, on video, and scanned the original print from KNX.

Here he is in his favorite outfit - possibly taken on Mulholland Drive?

This may have been the acting school where he took the lessons: here is the class about to leave for a performance at the San Francisco Fair in 1939.
Look at those cute kids! so many stories.... big version here.
Dad is sitting on the hood, with his Charlie McCarthy