View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 10:50 PM

LAT March 26, 1923/LA Sentinel Sept 17, 1964/LA Herald Feb 1, 1906 (before the address changes in the neighborhood we've discussed here before (#19400).

jballou... I'm still not sure what you're referring to by "card houses"--presumably that there were here and there on Sugar Hill gambling houses such as might have been Allen and Sara Durette's interesting operation in the old William Gustavus Hunt house at 3 Berkeley Square

"Sugar Hill' came into use in the early '40s as prosperous African-Americans began to move into the neighborhood, often in violation of deed restrictions. As I understand it, some wanted to call it "Blueberry Hill" rather than "Sugar" to distinguish it from the fancy precinct in Harlem, but "Sugar" won out probably because it did suggest the original (and maybe since "sugar" is what we all really want, good as blueberries can be). As the '40s evolved and brave pioneers such as Hattie McDaniel, Louise Beavers, and prominent neighborhood professionals such as Dr. William Clyde Allen of Berkeley Square fought for and succeeded in winning the abolition of the covenants by the US Supreme Court in 1948, the name became even more significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballou View Post
Found some information on the Card Houses in Sugar Hill. Guess it was named this area in the 1950's, before that is was known as West Adam Heights.
I am interested on Oxford street as I have a friend that lives there, now I am looking for Vintage photos of the area/place.

But did stumble upon this flikr site that I found a lot of the info.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kansas_...n/photostream/

"12 – Patrick Fitzwilliam. 2057 S Oxford Ave. 1903. (Note: This is first of three houses owned by C I D Moore in West Adams Heights – 1903 to 1906, 2057 S Oxford Ave; 1906 to 1908; 2071 S Hobart Blvd; 1908 - 1937, 2242 S Hobart Blvd.)

This handsome house was originally built for Charles Moore, an executive of Consolidated Life (Pacific Mutual). Most likely he built this house to help spur interest in the burgeoning neighborhood, the neighborhood and association having been created by his employer Frederick Rindge, on Harvard Blvd. In 1906 C I D Moore sold the house to Patrick Fitzwilliam to build another house at 2071 S Hobart Blvd. According to the 1909 City Directory Patrick Fitzwilliam was a clerk at the Pacific Crockery and Tinnery. It seems like a rather expensive purchase for a clerk, however, his wife, Mrs. Ann Rose Fitzwilliam, came from Austin and was the sister of Governor Ross of Texas. She died 11/26/1892, apparently leaving her estate to her husband. The 1910 Census shows him living here with his two daughters Katy and Ammie Lourie, and a son Robert Lee. The house’s roof line looks as if it’s missing a gable or two. Although there’s no direct proof, it appears the house may have had an attic fire at some point."

Flickr Kansas Sebastian

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Mar 17, 2014 at 11:14 PM.