View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
I know you're just the messenger TC, but I don't buy this. If the metrorapid was actual BRT (dedicated lanes, etc) and the FTA investment was more, I could see the argument. But the FTA funded only $38M on the metrorapid route. This is less than 10% of the proposed $500M FTA funding for the urban rail route. Moving from a glorified bus service to urban rail is a huge upgrade for the corridor. An upgrade enough to justify the expense, not to mention that the buses can just be moved to another route! Also metrorapid will be in service for years before urban rail is built out!
Ok good points from there I have to wonder still why there have been great efforts for the highland route? Does anyone in the planning process have a vested interest in having the rail routes farther east?

If mass construction of the BRT is needed to transfer it to rail then the BRT has been a failure as a precursor to urban rail. In Houston the Uptown BRT that is being built with dedicated lanes along its 7 mile route. The additional right of way is being purchased and left turn lanes sacrificed. In 10 years when they do turn it into rail it will be extrodinarily easy to place rail and the overhead wires to transfer the route. If Austins BRT route was closer to that configuration then perhaps there wouldn't be as much push back?

If all fails Austin will hopefully still accept the Highland route. It's just too late to change the ballot initiative for this year. If it fails then there won't be another try for 5 years and then you won't see rail service until 2024. The best case may be just to scrap the plans all together and try again next year or the year after. You need a comprehensive 25 year plan of buildout and how it will happen. Dallas's DART has know exactly where trains will run 30 years before the entire system was built out. Houston even has 2 lines planned out that don't have funding yet. I don't see why Austin hasn't planned ahead and figured out a comprehensive system before putting it to vote. Something like 3 light rail lines (with funding for 1) and 2 commuter lines built out over the next 30 years.