Thread: Canada Rankings
View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 7:35 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post

I find it bizarre that any list of global cities wouldn't have Tokyo in the top tier..
They used to have Tokyo in the top tier alongside New York, Paris, and London. Neither Paris or Tokyo have kept pace with New York and London the last 10-15 years imo. They seem to agree. I'm not shocked that they've downgraded both. Fame and reputation aren't enough to maintain your standing forever.

I think a lot of people have it set in concrete where cities stand and have a hard time accepting that things change over time. We view cities like Tokyo as the pinnacle but a lot of these views were formed in 1980, 1990, 2000. Is it still true today? In 1950, Buffalo and Toronto were equivalent. In 2005, people would compare Toronto to Detroit and below Philadelphia. Things change but often people's perceptions are 20 years behind reality.