View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 8:14 PM

Hollywood Recreation Center

Wow, that camouflage netting over Lockheed is amazing! I'd heard about that project, but never realized it was so elaborate.

The Merle Norman Studio building is a beauty.

it was Here's an interesting section of Vine Street, between Sunset and Hollywood Blvds. I believe the big streamline deco building, then housing gift shops and a bowling alley was built in 1937.

personal collection

Warner Home Video

You can get a glimpse of it in "Mildred Pierce".

personal collection photo by Bob Plunkett

Here's a view after Tom Breneman moved in, broadcasting his popular "Breakfast in Hollywood" radio program from the site. Before the mid forties, he occupied the former Hollywood Tropics nightclub, the neighboring building just south of 1539 Vine St. Mmmm, "Glorifried Ham 'n' Eggs"! Yessir!

Warner Home Video

Warner Home Video

Both buildings can be seen in back projection shots in "My Dream is Yours", a 1949 Doris Day movie.

Warner Home Video

It looks like the ghost image of "Breneman" can be seen behind the dimensional letters sign for "Ah Fong's" restaurant.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment

The block makes an appearance as a matte in the 1991 "Bugsy", a biopic about Los Angeles mobster Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel.

I visited the spot in the early '90's. At that point, the old recreation center building was used for taping "The Love Connection".

When I visited the area last summer, I was surprised the see the building had been repurposed as a condo project. At least the beautiful facade was preserved and incorporated into the new (but overwhelming) construction.
I don't know what the deal is with the Schwab's sign.

The bas relief detail on the corner has held up well.

Last edited by Kelton Verdugo; Jun 30, 2011 at 8:29 PM. Reason: speling