View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg View Post
Not surprised. While waiting for friends to come downtown who were stuck at various LRT stations I had some fun reading the posts to RTD's Facebook page -people had a lot of over the top hate for going to a celebration-. Fortunately I convinced my friends to divert to some local buses and they made it in time.

Thinking about it though if the estimates are close to accurate the equivalent of over 1/3 of the population of the metro area went downtown on one day. My guesstimate is that RTD handled over 10 times what it normally gets heading downtown on an average weekday (granted spread out over a longer period of time). I would be surprised if any transit system in the world could easily take that sort of stress. Sure in raw numbers midtown Manhattan, the loop in Chicago, gare du nord, shinjuku, etc could probably handle it, but not the percentage increases.
Munich's system seems to handle it just fine during Oktoberfest, but they have preparation and experience every year to handle that.

From the pictures I have seen, it sure didn't look anywhere near 1 million people at the rally. A lot yes, but not 1 million a lot.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."