View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 9:38 PM

Perhaps a better metric of gauging success of photo threads are the view counts, not the replies. Unless someone has something poignant to say most responders forego the "nice shots" comments despite liking the photos. And of course active users vs. registered users is a 10:1 ratio.

If you look at the view counts you can see many hundreds of people are viewing the photos. Many others are then interested in learning more about the city being presented and will seek out additional information elsewhere.

We also need to take into consideration that unlike fifteen, even five years ago, digital photography of cities from around the world wasn't as prevalent as it is today. As such we often see the same scenes of the same city many times over and the wow factor has been eroded. Unless photographs capture a unique quality of a given area or are shot with a specific creative goal in mind many photos can only convey an updated version of an often recognized place.

As for creating a sub-forum for on-going threads I don't think we're quite there yet. Looking at the My Photos section right now on my screen I see 16 one-off threads and 2 on-going threads.

With respect to the latter if you notice someone posting photos that are not their own work in the My Photos section please PM me. I can move the thread if it's being derailed by photos taken from other sources.