View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 5:37 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Forgot to add a rumoured piece of the Spanish Gates (the Dorcester) proposal. Apparently it's also going to include a parking garage, which isn't surprising considering the extra parking the development itself will need along with the fact that it's taking up parking spaces for workers in two of Chernin's office buildings across the street.

Here are a couple more letters to the editor about it. I'm strongly considering writing one of my own within the next week.
Quote:
Cape Breton Post
Comment, Saturday, March 25, 2006, p. A8

Letters

Proposed high-rise would merely add to ugly streetscape

I am concerned that Councillor Tom Wilson and landowner Mary Chernin are attempting to strike down two of the six sight lines that the municipal planning department has proposed to protect the waterview and streetscapes in Sydney's North End.

If Coun. Wilson and Mr. Chernin have their way, we will lose yet another large chunk of waterfront that rightfully belongs to all of Sydney, and in this case is part of the integrity of our North End.

The six sight lines are excellent city planning. They must be protected through bylaw to stop developers from filling their pockets on the backs of all us.

I urge regional council to look closely at this proposal for a high-rise on our waterfront. This project would block two of the sight lines and look like an ugly blob sticking out of the North End. The North End is an underprotected and priceless area of Sydney that continues to suffer from a lack of tender loving care from council.

The addition of a high rise on the water will serve to further ghettoize the battered North End.

The award for ugliest streetscape in Sydney goes to that part of the Esplanade between Cambridge Suites and the Delta Hotel. Don't let Mr. Chernin produce more of the same because he is unwilling to produce a plan that leaves the sight lines intact.

I challenge Coun. Wilson and Mr. Chernin to ensure that this land becomes the site of a development that enhances the North End and invites us all to the waterfront. It's doable.
Quote:
Cape Breton Post
Comment, Saturday, March 11, 2006, p. A8

Letter from the editor

Proposed waterfront project provokes differing viewpoints

Fred Jackson

This is not New York City or Toronto, but the potential of Cape Breton ports, particularly Sydney's, could open the gate to economic prosperity in a community that has depended on waterways for centuries. However, the view of the Sydney waterfront is so valuable it has spun controversy among developers and historic preservation buffs that has landed in the hands of regional council.

Those interested in preserving the character of Sydney's north end are concerned about a proposed $46 million development that would accommodate condominiums, a hotel, commercial and retail space.

One stumbling block is the view of the harbour from six vantage points. The project would be located across the street from Commerce Tower, between the Royal Cape Breton Yacht Club and the Sydney Pavilion.

Adoption of six view planes would prevent any commercial development from blocking the harbour view no matter how beneficial to the economy, says municipal planner Rick McCready. Economic development manager John Whalley spoke out against obstructing the view of the harbour.

Mayor John Morgan suggested more information is needed on the proposal, which is only a conceptual drawing at this point, before the committee could vote on how many view planes should be protected.

It amazes me that an economic development officer would make the statement Whalley did.

On Friday I had a phone chat with Philip Lopate, a prominent New York author who has written a fascinating book about waterfront development. In his book, Waterfront: A Journey Around Manhattan, Lopate looks at how New York's waterfront developed.

He calls the waterfront "the key to New York's destiny" and suggests some ideas for future waterfront development.

During our conversation he made it clear that he is not against waterfront development. "There has to be mixed uses," he said. "Sure we have to pay tribute to heritage but ports are valuable and [a port] just can't be defined as purely recreation."

When I finished the telephone conversation with Lopate I looked out my office window and my first glimpse was the Commerce office tower, blocking my view of the harbour. It's all about your vantage point, but let's use common sense. Sydney is mostly on a flat plane near the harbour; this is not like Halifax Harbour, with the view from Citadel Hill.

Many community leaders across North America point out the potential economic benefits of developing waterways. The potential is almost limitless.

There's no question that developer Marty Chernin and other business people have made a statement with their proposal about the future of the city.

Also at stake are short- and long-range employment opportunities and taxes our municipality can use.

An attractive development that can showcase Sydney's historic north end will put added value on the homes and businesses in the area. It will also engage further development downtown, especially near the fire station, which has plenty of potential and space, complementing the beautiful Wentworth condos that were just constructed.

Let's have the best of both worlds.
Another thing of note about the "viewplanes", the two "viewplanes" that would be destroyed by this project are 1) from Commerce Tower and 2) from behind Harbour Place...both buildings developed by Mr. Chernin, one being home to his own office.

Last edited by Smevo; Feb 20, 2008 at 12:11 AM.