View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post

Thomas Starr King Middle School, 1929

Aerial view of King Junior High School from the southeast in November 1929.
King Middle School is a public school that has been educating students from the Franklin Hills, Los Feliz, Silver Lake, Echo Park, and Hollywood neighborhoods since 1926. In 1995, Thomas Starr King Junior High School reconfigured to a 6th through 8th middle school; it has approximately 2,854 students. In September of 1996, the school community established a strict dress code and uniform policy that states that the school uniform must be worn while attending school, intersession or during school-sponsored activities. It is a year-round school, which runs on three tracks. Tracks B and C start at the beginning of July, and Track A begins at the end of August. Thomas Starr King (1824-1864) was a Unitarian minister, orator, teacher, activist for social justice, and ardent patriot.

LAPL
Michael….bless you. I had a copy of this photo and lost it along with a handful of other memories in a computer crash a few years ago. There was also one or two shots from the front of the buildings. The only thing missing from this is the new gym that was built on the west side of Myra Ave. As near as I can tell along with that newer gym, the only part of the original school left standing is the cafeteria/home economics bldg on the lower right. The two story and single story appendage on the lower left side were not part of the original building, but followed soon after. For lack of a gym, a portion of the shop building to the upper right housed the locker rooms and all PE was held outside.
My father was a year too old to be amongst the initial class here and went to Belmont HS which was four year school then. My mother being a year younger did go to King. Among the teachers she had was a Miss Clark, who taught math as I recall. My older brother and I also had Miss Clark as we passed through the school. She was shall we say a little unconventional in her thought processes and she was one of those few unforgettable characters we come across during our lives who may not have been an influence, but rather an eccentricity that lives with us forever. Her span over mother to sons was from 1927 through to 1952. Does this make little old Miss Clark a noirism spirit?

Michael, I see on your Flickr page you have the street view during contruction. This appears to be taking place as the shop wing is being construted on the left and the two story extension is yet to exist.

Last edited by belmont bob; Feb 24, 2013 at 9:09 PM.