View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 11:27 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester united View Post
When will be restored the 24/7 subway service?
Hopefully never, if the nightly closures lead to improved service and repairs. Not sure if that's what we're going to get as a result of these nightly closures. But that's what supposedly happens in every other metro system in the world.

No other system operates 24/7 because it's purely ridiculous. What need is there for a 24/7 system? Have you ever ridden the subway in the middle of the night? I have, and it is pure misery. 20-30 minute headways. Trains travelling at 5 mph or less because of "train traffic ahead", but more likely because the transit union forced trains to travel at slow speeds if there was repair work being done on an adjacent track. Trains stopping at stations for 5 minutes or more at a time for no clear reason. A trip that takes 1 hour easily takes 2 hours in the middle of the night.

I'd say that you have never ridden the 24/7 subway in the middle of the night if you are truly clamoring for it back. You might want it back more because just so you can say that NYC has 24/7 service and is truly "the city that never sleeps". I'd say that this night owl service can be easily replicated using bus shuttles that travel along the subway routes. There are very few people using the subway this late at night, and a decent number of shuttle buses should be able to carry them all.