View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 3:04 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Vera's also has the most amazing fries...

Speaking of fries, the restaurant black hole on 17th SW near American Apparel that's been Pizza 17 and two or three consecutive failed Pakistani places is now Universe. Yes it's an idiotic name for a restaurant but they've spiffed it up unbelievably, I mean it's a huge makeover, and they serve a Cora's style breakfast menu with crepes and fruits done in a fancy style in addition to everything else you'd expect on a breakfast menu. I went for lunch yesterday since I live barely a block away and started simple with a burger and fries. It was excellent with just a few annoyances. $12 gets you a big juicy perfectly cooked 6 oz burger on a good sesame bun, a side salad (I got house, which came with old school 1000 island dressing, a nice blast from the past and tasty too) and fries. The fries were absolutely stellar- they make poutine (traditional, Italian and with peppercorn gravy, very Montreal diner style which makes sense as chef owner is from Montreal and this place is like a neighbourhood Montreal diner really) with them. Tghis wasn't perfect but it was really good and not pricey at all. They have a ton of grilled options - steaks, shrimp, etc- some Greek items and a full pizza menu. It's not really focussed but I get the sense that they take pride in what they do and I hope they get past some very cludgy branding ("Universe" sounds like a nightclub or a clothing store for pete's sake) and that people give them a chance because there really aren't many places like this on 17th. The Rock up the street would be an exception but is likewise a place that has absurd branding but that's another post. The Rock has exceptionally good burgers btw.
Thanks for the review Rusty. Over the past 2 weeks we have been stuck in traffic right in front of Universe. It has been interesting to see it coming together. It looked like such an odd space when the tables and booths weren't in, but they have really invested in quite a nice setup for that spot. Last time we drove by the booths and chairs were in and the menus up on the windows. It certainly looks expansive. I hope that people support the place if the food is as good as you suggest. Seems like a nice mom & pop style business.