View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
When are they going to begin work on the primary Calatrava-designed transit hub, the one visible from street level? I'm worried about it because I know the price tag has scared politicians, and after seeing New Jersey pull the plug on the Hudson river NJTransit tunnel, I won't feel comfortable about this hub until it's finally complete.
This is a good question. After seeing the sublevel plans for the whole site posted recently, I understand the relationship of the different transportation hub areas a lot better, and I realize that most of the essential infrastructure is actually underneath the WTC memorial. But I also wondered why there was not more visible work on the prominent part of the hub that everyone wants to see, the one between towers 2 and 3. This was especially surprising because there has been so much visible work recently on the footings of towers 2 and 3, whereas the future hub entrance area seems practically untouched.

Is it because the hub entrance area requires the lower levels of towers 2 and 3 to be completed in order to support it on the northern and southern sides? Is it too crowded down there to work on all three simultaneously? Or is this a money issue as Don098 suggested?